Indoor Safety Tips

  • Don’t overload outlets in your home or business. An overloaded outlet is a fire hazard. If you have overloaded outlets, consider having a qualified electrician install additional circuits.
  • Keep the holidays happy and safe. Always turn off any holiday lights before leave home. Keep trees, boxes and wrapping paper away from heat sources.
  • GFCIs can save your life! Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) cut power in time to prevent serious shock. Use in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and outside. Always follow the National Electric Code when wiring your home and buildings.
  • Backup Generators are great to use during a storm when power has been interrupted. Never operate a generator to supply power to your home without a properly installed transfer switch to isolate your home wiring from BCEC’s main power lines.
  • Power outages will happen from time to time. Flashlights, battery-powered radio, fresh batteries, bottled water, canned and dried foods, blankets, manual can opener, first aid supplies and any other item you feel you may need should be kept in a handy place.
  • Keep little hands out of trouble and harm by placing safety covers on all electrical outlets that are within reach of children. BCEC will provide these covers to you upon request.
  • Kitchen appliances should always be unplugged before cleaning. Even if turned off, it can shock you. Never remove burnt toast from a toaster unless it is unplugged.
  • Water and electricity do not mix, in bathrooms keep hairdryers, curling irons, electric razors, electric toothbrushes and other appliances away from water and always use GFCI outlets.
  • Extension cords are for temporary use only. Never put them under rugs or furniture as they can overheat or become damaged causing a fire hazard.
  • Frayed cords are dangerous, if the insulation on a cord becomes frayed or worn have a qualified repairman repair or replace the cord before using.
  • Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are important to keep on hand. Be sure to check the batteries in smoke detectors regularly. Keep all flammable items far away from light bulbs, heaters or toasters. Be sure you have a fire escape plan for your family incase of a fire.